Monday, September 15, 2008

Cauliflower Cravings




Some crave dark chocolate.

Others get yearnings for Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream.

Still others go through withdraw without daily infusions of caffeine.

Me? Well, there are times when a bag of salty chips and a cheap sour cream dip hit just the right spot, but lately I've been craving cauliflower. Not the mushy kind with cheese in the frozen foods section. And not the crunchy stuff that usually goes untouched on the crudite' platter at the Super Bowl party.

What I crave is roasted cauliflower with garlic and Italian parsley - the kind I first tasted at Zinc Cafe and Market in Corona Del Mar a year ago. Since I first sank my teeth into this easy, tasty concoction, I find myself craving the roasted flower in the same way that other friends long for Valrona chocolate.

And, in case you haven't noticed, I lean toward dishes that are simple and have less than a handful of ingredients. When they're delicious and nutritious, like this one, that's just like dip on the chip.

What you'll need:
- One head of cauliflower
- Garlic (to taste)
- Italian parsley (to taste)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt

1) Preheat the over to 450 degrees.
2) Break the cauliflower into little florets.
3) Slice three or four cloves of garlic.
4) Chop a handful of parsley
5) Spread caulifllower, garlic and parsley on a rimmed baking sheet. Douse with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.




6) Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, turning the veggies after 10 to 15 minutes.




I ate this for lunch as a side dish with a piece of cold fried chicken left over from the trespassers picnic. Then I had it again for dinner the next day over penne pasta with a little extra olive oil and some freshly grated parmesan cheese. (Sorry I don't have a photo. I was too busy eating.)




This proves that I can have my cauliflower and eat it two (times that is).

16 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hemant Saluja said...

Hi,

It looks very tasty and delicious. I will try to make this dish.


===================================
Rajnish
look4ward

Anonymous said...

I'd also like to order the piece of fried chicken. And iced tea. Thank you.

CB3Dot said...

I have tried to like culiflower for all my life. Not a lotta luck, but I do eat it when it appears. I have had success woking it with seafood dishes, and other non-agressive components. For example, as much as I luv garlic, it does not make the cut in a seafood wok!

Unknown said...

this food look so tasty!!! Yummy!

West Coast Grrlie Blather said...

yum - i wish i had one on hand! the photos are great!

Petrea Burchard said...

I think I could actually make this.

Anonymous said...

I could do that. Seriously, I think I could. I wouldn't have to fear inebriated art critics with this dish.

Susan C said...

Yes, folks. It's EASY to eat well. As I like to say, if I can do it, anyone can.

(But I don't know about that fish and cauliflower stir fry, CB3.)

Madeline said...

Well, you've done a double, double on my favorite things...Roasted Cauliflower AND cold fried chicken. What a fabulous meal.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to go far wrong with something like this. Especially when you end up with those nice dark edge bits.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! I will frequently down an entire head of roasted cauliflower for dinner. Hmmmm....maybe tonight.

Anonymous said...

It is midnight, and, after reading this, I am suddenly starving for the FLOWER! I am making this for dinner tomorrow1 what a great idea. I love the stuff usually steamed, but this sounds even better! Love you so munch! Suz

Olga said...

Love roasted cauliflower, and it's so easy to switch up the seasonigs. One of my favorites is with cumin seeds and curry powder for an Indian twist; and then add fresh cilantro at the end.

By the way, love the design of your blog: so cheerful!

Susan C said...

I love the idea of the Indian twist to this dish. I think I just got another craving!

Anonymous said...

Just made it. Very very good.