Thursday, December 13, 2007

Put up your Duke's!

You gotta love a sandwich that has three of its five ingredients in the name. Is there anything more satisfying and easy than a BLT?

Last night, I made the first BLTs of the season with the juicy, ripe tomatoes from our back yard. Between the smoky scent of the bacon sizzling in the cast-iron skillet and the sweet fragrance of the sliced tomatoes, I was in sensory heaven while preparing this summer-time fave.

Instead of the usual Kraft or Hellman's mayo, we tried Duke's Mayonnaise, which I ordered online. Southerners claim that Duke's is the ONLY acceptable mayo for a BLT, and now I see why. The flavor and texture is as close to homemade as you can get out of a jar.

I've seen recipes for BLTs that incorporate basil leaves instead of lettuce, aioli instead of mayo and fried green tomatoes rather than the fresh red variety. But I say, why mess with perfection. We stick with toasted whole wheat bread, fried bacon, fresh tomatoes, Romaine lettuce and the now essential Duke's mayo.

Southerners often skip the lettuce and the bacon and feast on tomato (or "mater" as they say south of the Mason Dixon) and mayo sandwiches. Budget-conscious (i.e. poor) West Virginians have been known to eliminate the tomatoes and make a meal out of a slice of bread smeared with mayo and a sprinkle of Cayenne pepper.

What does any of this have to do with cancer? Not a darn thing, my friends, not a darn thing.

I'd love to hear your comments about:
- Do you have a variation on the BLT theme?
- How do you smear your mayo on a BLT? Cindy insists upon spreading both slices of toast with mayo, and that's just the way I do it too.
- Have you ever tried Duke's mayo?

4 comments:

The Mother Slug said...

I just ran across this post today...Duke's mayo will flow from fountains in heaven. It's the ONLY brand I've ever purchased...not saying it's the only brand tried...but the only one worthy of my purchase. Hamburgers, hot dogs...yes, in the south we even put that stuff on hot dogs...potato salad, deviled eggs and pimento cheese....if you don't use Duke's you could get shot. Or even worse...never get asked to bring anything to a church covered dish again.

Janet Scronce said...

I live in CT but spent the first 24 years of my life in NC. There are currently 2 jars of Duke's mayo in my fridge and 2 in my pantry. It's like I'm stocking up for the end of the world.

Anonymous said...

網頁設計 網頁設計公司 最新消息 訪客留言 網站導覽


情趣用品 情趣用品 情趣用品店 情趣 情趣用品 情趣

色情遊戲 寄情築園小遊戲 情色文學 一葉情貼圖片區 情人視訊網 辣妹視訊 情色交友 成人論壇 情色論壇 愛情公寓 情色 舊情人 情色貼圖 色情聊天室 色情小說 做愛 做愛影片 性愛


免費視訊聊天室 aio交友愛情館 愛情公寓 一葉情貼圖片區 情色貼圖 情色文學 色情聊天室 情色小說 情色電影 情色論壇 成人論壇 辣妹視訊 視訊聊天室 情色視訊 免費視訊 免費視訊聊天 視訊交友網 視訊聊天室 視訊美女 視訊交友 視訊交友90739 UT聊天室 聊天室 豆豆聊天室 尋夢園聊天室 聊天室尋夢園 080聊天室 080苗栗人聊天室 女同志聊天室 上班族聊天室 小高聊天室


AV AV女優


視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊交友


視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊聊天室 視訊交友 視訊聊天 視訊美女 視訊辣妹 免費視訊聊天室


自慰器 自慰器

SC FarmWife said...

We LOVE Duke's mayo! I have tried other brands and they never have the same taste or texture. There is not much that can compare unless you have a great recipe. We use Dukes on sandwichs, hotdogs, potato salad, tuna salad, and cassaroles. You should really try the Duke's chocolate cake recipe.