Monday, April 28, 2008

Springtime has been berry, berry good to me!

In April, the strawberry hits its stride. The popular Vitamin-C rich berries are at their reddest, ripest, sweetest and cheapest this month, and I've been taking advantage.

When the price drops to $8.00 for a flat (12 boxes), I can't resist walking out of the market with my cardboard box packed with a dainty-dozen pints.

My favorite spring and summer time breakfast treat is plain yogurt with fresh berries. I recently joined friends for breakfast at Zinc Cafe in Laguna Beach. The cafe elevated my simple treat by adding a touch of honey (for shimmer and sweetness) and a sprinkling of orange zest (for a touch of bitter). I love these simple touches and have been adding them to my daily dish of berries and yogurt.



A perfect Sunday morning: Strawberry parfait, coffee and the Sunday Times

I came back from a recent trip to West Virginia with a recipe for Shoney's (aka Bob's Big Boy) fresh strawberry pie filling and an easy, idiot-proof pie crust recipe. I make at least two pies at a time and give one to a friend and keep one for the family.


Pies are made for sharing. Always bake two at a time and surprise a friend.

Shoney's Fresh Strawberry Pie
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. sugar
1 c. water
1/2 small pkg. strawberry gelatin (4 T.)
2 1/2 pints fresh strawberries
1 baked 9 inch pie shell, cooled

Blend together cornstarch and sugar. Combine in saucepan with water. Cook, stirring until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add gelatin. Stir until dissolved. Cool. (If there are any globules of cornstarch, remove them.)

Spread strawberries in baked pie shell. Pour gelatin mixture over berries and let chill 2 or 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream.

(Shoney's leaves berries whole, but I hull and quarter mine and mix with the glaze before placing in the pie shell.)

After two pies and five yogurt pafaits, I still have four pints of strawberries left. It may be time for some strawberry shortcake.


6 comments:

Piper Robert said...

Quartering the strawberries is a great idea. I love strawberry pie with idiot proof crust. Hmmm....if I bought some strawberries, wonder if Bonnie would make some pies? Thanks for passing on the recipe.

BTW, I have pictures and videos on my blog from my trip to the College of Piping. I'll post a video of a snow storm, you'll love it.

Karen said...

Looks so yummy. I'd love to see your pie crust recipe!

Ann said...

That's it, I'm coming over. :)

Dani said...

Zinc Cafe? My how I miss the Zinc Cafe. I used to live there (Laguna, not Zinc...but practically). What I wouldn't give for a taste of Laguna.

Can you believe it snowed three days ago? April 30th and Spokane is still getting snow. Grrr. We are all sad. We could all use a little strawberry joy. I don't suppose your shortcake would make it in the mail? The whole twon of Spokane is depending on you. (Well, okay, just me.)

Maybe I will forage around in the local supermarket--since the farmers' market is not setting foot outside yet--for some berries of my own. The recipe IS too tempting.

I was so glad to see your smiling face on your blog!

MNicole said...

I like your blog!! I am so into everything cooking...and eating. Please pass along other receipes you may find interesting!!

Anonymous said...

網頁設計 網頁設計公司 最新消息 訪客留言 網站導覽


情趣用品 情趣用品 情趣用品店 情趣 情趣用品 情趣

色情遊戲 寄情築園小遊戲 情色文學 一葉情貼圖片區 情人視訊網 辣妹視訊 情色交友 成人論壇 情色論壇 愛情公寓 情色 舊情人 情色貼圖 色情聊天室 色情小說 做愛 做愛影片 性愛


免費視訊聊天室 aio交友愛情館 愛情公寓 一葉情貼圖片區 情色貼圖 情色文學 色情聊天室 情色小說 情色電影 情色論壇 成人論壇 辣妹視訊 視訊聊天室 情色視訊 免費視訊 免費視訊聊天 視訊交友網 視訊聊天室 視訊美女 視訊交友 視訊交友90739 UT聊天室 聊天室 豆豆聊天室 尋夢園聊天室 聊天室尋夢園 080聊天室 080苗栗人聊天室 女同志聊天室 上班族聊天室 小高聊天室


AV AV女優


視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊交友


視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊聊天室 視訊交友 視訊聊天 視訊美女 視訊辣妹 免費視訊聊天室


自慰器 自慰器