Thursday, May 1, 2008

Susan's Eggsellent Adventure

What could be easier than making a protein-packed egg salad sandwich for lunch?

Hard boiling eggs can be a challenge for a post-middle-aged woman with traces of chemo brain and ADD. Here's how NOT to make hard-boiled eggs:

  • 11:00 AM Place five eggs in a pot. Cover with water. Place pot on stove with flame at medium high.
  • 11:01 AM Go upstairs to research on computer how long eggs should sit in simmering water. Bring egg timer to keep self on track.
  • 11:02 AM Answer phone. Reply to emails. Answer phone again. Upload photos from digital camera. Stroke cat. Write post for food blog. Sort dirty laundry.
  • 12:05 PM Go downtstairs to basement laundry room. On way past kitchen hear two loud POP sounds. Rule out drive-by shooting. Put down laundry basket.
  • 12:06 PM Go to kitchen. Follow crackling sound. Discover the "eggsplosion."
  • 12:07 PM Turn off flame. Grab keys and head to Everest for a pastrami sandwich.
So . . . what's the verdict? Age? ADD? Chemo brain? Or just Susan being Susan?

11 comments:

Ann said...

OMG! I have done this, too! It must have something to do with being incredibly witty charming women. Just a thought. :)

Susan C said...

I like that theory, Ann!

Barbara Fleeman said...

Susan, I finally figured out my Google password!

I've forgotten things on the stove so many times. My mom does the same thing...I thought perhaps it was genetic, but maybe we're witty and charming women, too!

Another theory...perhaps your subconscious was really craving that yummy-greasy-salty Everest pastrami sandwich -- one of my Altadena favorites!

Barbara

Susan C said...

The City of Hope nutritionist wants me to eat a lot of protein and fat, so the Everest pastrami sandwich was just what the doctor ordered. I made sure I ate a lot of the free pickled carrot condiments to get a balanced diet.

Piper Robert said...

No more multi-tasking.

Move computer, cat, washer/dryer, phone, bed, shower, toilet facilities to the kitchen.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Eggs also explode in the microwave. My fried boiled some hot vit lon (VNese fetal duck eggs) and they didn't fully cook. So he heated them up in the microwave. They all exploded except for mine. And the minute I cracked the egg, the contents exploded in my face. So, just be glad you were upstairs? :P

Susan C said...

And how, pray tell, WC, did you know that it was YOUR egg that didn't explode?

toshilee said...

That is way too funny. The same thing happened to me a few years ago but it didn't explode like yours! Your blog is great, keep up the great work

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Ah, that's b/c everyone else had already tapped their egg. I hadn't yet so mine was the only egg intact. Hence why all the others exploded in the microwave and mine didn't. My egg decided to wait to explode in my face. :P

Lisa Cooper-Keil said...

For Safety's sake - here's the BEST way to hard boil eggs. Place eggs in a pot of water. Bring to a boil. Put a tight lid on the pot and TURN OFF THE HEAT. Let the eggs sit for 15 minutes. Having ruined TWO pots using the Susan Carrier method, I have now resorted to this.

Anonymous said...

So funny! I've done similar things. (So I agree with the whitty women thought). Once, I was simply boiling water and forgot about it. It boiled completely dry. When I discovered my oops, the bottom of the pan (which was the heat conductor part) had melted and slipped to one side! I cooled the melted steel in my sink. The really funny part was my son, who was in 3rd grade at the time, took it to school for show and tell! Talk about being red-faced!
Joan