Monday, January 19, 2009

Barack O-Spam-a Musubi (Spam Musubi)



I'm finding that I have a lot in common
with our soon-to-be-president Barack Obama.


First of all, we're both self-described bi-racial "mutts."

And then there's the Occidental connection. He attended Occidental. I eat pizza at Casa Bianca, a favorite of Occidental students.

He likes to body surf in Oahu. I attempt body surfing at Santa Monica Beach.

And after a day in the surf or on the green, we both like to chow down on spam musubi, that simple but satisfying snack of Japanese steamed rice topped with fried Spam and wrapped in nori (dried sea weed). (For the record, the rice is the plain white stuff, not sushi rice. PLEASE don't call it Spam sushi.) The New York Times (and hundreds of other news outlets) reported that Obama ordered the popular finger food for lunch during a golf outing in Hawaii.

In honor of our new Commander in Chief, I'm bringing O-Spam-a musubi for a breakfast inauguration party tomorrow. I first made this treat a few months ago. For the O-Spam-a version, I upgraded to teriyaki Spam with this recipe from Recipezaar. The sweetness of the teriyaki sauce (1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 T. sugar) masks the saltiness of the canned meat.

Now go ahead and sneer and put your nose up in the air as I bite into my Spam musubi. I'm secure in the knowledge that Obama and I both love it. We have a lot in common, ya' know.

14 comments:

Dee said...

I would never turn up my nose to this! I love this too! A friend who grew up on Hawaii introduced me to it. I'll have to try it with teriyaki sauce.

Cafe Observer said...

Hybrids are the best for your human species.

But, for us dogs, pure breed is the way to go.

Margaret said...

Love you. Love Obama. But I'm dubious about this one.

Anonymous said...

I always associate Spam Musubi with Japanese festivals during the summer all around Los Angeles--yum! Thank you for posting "Barack O-Spam-a Musubi." Have a great time. Angela

pasadenapio said...

Never liked it, probably never will, but I appreciate that you followed the Obama/Hawaii theme!

KC said...

Spam Musubi is on my list of 100 things to cook this year!

I'm glad to be in good company with you and Obama.

Ronni Gordon said...

Enjoyed the post, but I don't think I'm up to trying the dish. I watched from my bed in my "hotel." It was such a great day. Gave me shivers.

Susan C said...

Darlene, this was the first time to try the teriyaki sauce. I loved it.

CO, I won't tell Betty what you wrote.

Margaret, ya' gotta' try it. You just have to forget that the meat came from a can.

Angela, so true about the Japanese festivals. I think that was the first time I had one in LA. Of course, now they're available year round at those little Famima Markets.

PIO, well, at least you tried it. (Have you even tried it, Margaret?)

KC, how funny that you have this on your list. It's so easy that you'll be able to scratch that off right away. I need to make a list.

Ronni, you're exempt from trying this. All those nitrates could not be that good for us. Glad you got to watch the inauguration from your "hotel." I was getting excitement goose bumps all morning.

Anonymous said...

Susan C. Your Barack O-spam-a Musubi was YUM!! :)

Susan C said...

Susan, glad you like the musubi. I think some people were afraid to try it.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you connected the Occidentals. It's all about seven degrees of separation. By having met me I can connect you to a deposed and despised dictator and the worlds most famous terrorist in three steps.
I'll skip on the spam. Looks to much like cat food.

Anonymous said...

I will follow you to many destinations, but to spam and back I will not go.

Susan C said...

PA, Wow! I wonder what arch enemy I'm now connected with.

PA and AH, The way I figure it, we So. Cal gals need to learn to love Spam. Shouldn't we all have a few cans in our disaster preparedness kits, right by the cheap Cava?

Anonymous said...

網頁設計 網頁設計公司 最新消息 訪客留言 網站導覽


情趣用品 情趣用品 情趣用品店 情趣 情趣用品 情趣

色情遊戲 寄情築園小遊戲 情色文學 一葉情貼圖片區 情人視訊網 辣妹視訊 情色交友 成人論壇 情色論壇 愛情公寓 情色 舊情人 情色貼圖 色情聊天室 色情小說 做愛 做愛影片 性愛


免費視訊聊天室 aio交友愛情館 愛情公寓 一葉情貼圖片區 情色貼圖 情色文學 色情聊天室 情色小說 情色電影 情色論壇 成人論壇 辣妹視訊 視訊聊天室 情色視訊 免費視訊 免費視訊聊天 視訊交友網 視訊聊天室 視訊美女 視訊交友 視訊交友90739 UT聊天室 聊天室 豆豆聊天室 尋夢園聊天室 聊天室尋夢園 080聊天室 080苗栗人聊天室 女同志聊天室 上班族聊天室 小高聊天室


AV AV女優


視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊交友


視訊 影音視訊聊天室 視訊聊天室 視訊交友 視訊聊天 視訊美女 視訊辣妹 免費視訊聊天室


自慰器 自慰器