Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Pursuit of Happiness: Ice Cream for Breakfast


Our new tradition: Ice cream for breakfast on the Fourth of July

One of my high school/Facebook friends recently shared her family's Independence Day tradition: eating ice cream for breakfast. She wrote, "It's a coal camp thing," one that's endured for five generations in her family.

I searched the Web for references to ice cream for breakfast on the Fourth of July and came up empty handed, but that didn't hold me back. When I announced my intention to start a new tradition, I received enthusiastic endorsement from the young adults in the family.

We would declare our independence and pursue our happiness by starting off the day with a bowl of vanilla. Of course, to show our colors, we added bananas, strawberries and blackberries to the bowl.

When it came right down to it, I didn't have the constitution to eat early morning ice cream. Instead, I started out with an egg in a toast cup and a cup of Joe. (Cut a hole in a slice of bread, fill the hole with an egg and fry in butter. Make sure to fry the round piece of bread in butter too, and then dip it into the soft egg yolk.)


Image from Wikipedia. Eggs in a toast cup, also known as eggs in a basket

After my savory dish, I still wasn't ready to indulge in a frozen dessert, but I ate the sliced strawberries, bananas and blackberries. Everyone else, including the grandson, shoveled down their ice cream and wished that every day was the Fourth of July.

Happy Independence Day!

15 comments:

JCK said...

Happy 4th, Susan! I love this idea.

Trish said...

my mother used to call these "toad in a hole" claiming they were UK based somehow. I also heard of them as "one eyed Jacks" from a cookbook I had as a small child. And in college I learned---why bother with cutting the hole, trying to get the egg in it, just fry the eggs in one pan, the bread in another and then have the two meet on a plate...yuuumo still!

even I can't manage to eat ice cream in the morning unless it is REALLY hot and I've risen late enough it should really be brunch or lunch!

glad everyone had a good time!

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

I could go for that tradition!

Petrea Burchard said...

I would have done as you did!

I learned as a kid to bake eggs inside a biscuit or bun. You cut out a hole in the top of the bun, leaving bread on the bottom so the egg is in a kind of basket. Put the egg in the hole with a bit of butter and bake it for about 20 minutes at 350 or so. Maybe 375. Melt a slice of cheese on top for the last couple of minutes.

Susan C said...

Hi JCK, Hope your family enjoyed your 4th.

Trish, I thought about just frying the bread and egg, but then I wouldn't have that delightful little circle of toast that makes me feel so special.

Chocoholic, And I'll bet you'd choose Rocky Road.

Petrea, I haven't heard of the oven method. It really is a "basket" since you leave the bottom of the bread.

Linda Dove said...

Yeah, definitely toad-in-a-hole at our house. :-)

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I've never seen this hole in one combo. I'd have gone with sour dough....Petrea's addition of cheese...yum... Everything is better with cheese. Maybe even ice cream

Anonymous said...

I think I can handle this recipe.

Susan C said...

Hmmmm. . . There were six comments here before, but now there are two. I wonder what happened?

PA, Oh, I wish I would have had sour dough bread. It's definitely the best for this.

AH, Which one - ice cream or the egg cups.

Petrea Burchard said...

Blogger's having weird comment issues today.

Margaret said...

I was suspicious as soon as I saw the fruit in the ice cream. Needless to say, Finnegans would have added hot fudge instead.

Velva said...

No doubt that my children would think eating ice cream for breakfast the coolest thing ever. However, I would have opted for the eggs in toast to go with my really good, hot cup of coffee.

Anonymous said...

This is a very belated response but very early, I guess, for next July 4th!

There is always Donut Ice Cream (just as it sounds) and Pancake Breakfast Ice Cream (bits of bacon and pancake with maple syrup) from the Lake Street Creamery ice cream parlour/truck. If you get it at the truck, they sprinkle ground peaberry coffee on it. Delish!

Plus, they have adorable kitten videos on their website....

Mary Bergfeld said...

It was great to have you visit again. I hope you are having a fabulous summer. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

What a fun tradition. I think I'd like the egg first then the ice cream second.